Even the Experts Say Stupid Things
We haven't checked the veracity of these quotes which we recieved in an email, but they are funny in any case. For your amusement only!
1. "Computers, in the future, may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949.
2. "I think there is a world market for, maybe, five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
3. "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country, and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.
4. "But what is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
5. "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977.
6. "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is, inherently, of no value." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.
7. "The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s
8. "The concept is interesting and well-formed. But, in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale Univ. management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service.( Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)
9. "Who wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927
10. "I'm just glad it will be Clark Gable who is falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind".
11. "A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.
12. "We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962
13. "You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training." -- Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.
14. "Stocks have reached what looks like a, permanently, high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929
15. "Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value." -- Marecha Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.
16. "Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872
17. "The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon." -- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873.
18. "64K ought to be enough memory for anybody." --
Bill Gates, 1981